Monday, December 28, 2015

Fruit-bearing Christians

Jn 15:1 -16

15:1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.

What is this fruit spoken of by Jesus?
To whom is Jesus speaking?

Ps 80:8-9,13,19  You brought a vine out of Egypt; you drove out the nations and planted it. You cleared the ground for it, and it took root and filled the land. Boars from the forest ravage it and the creatures of the field feed on it. Restore us, O LORD God Almighty; make your face shine upon us, that we may be saved.
Jesus is referring to the history of God’s people. The prophets also warned the nation that in the way they are living, they are departing from God.
Jer 12  “Many shepherds have ravaged my vineyard and trampled down my field”

 

Intimate; Closely Bound


Whatever else “fruit” may mean, it refers to anything that will extend God’s kingdom on earth, such as soul-winning, making disciples, etc.
There is a concept that needs to be addressed. Many people look to the pastor for growing the church.

It is not the shepherd who produces sheep; this is the task of the sheep, not the shepherd. Although the shepherd (pastor) is also a soul-winner.  
         

Pruning; Inflicting Pressure

2. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.

Even the fruit-bearing branches enjoy God’s attention. Such pruning implies discipline. 

Heb 12 gives us insight into what it means to be shaped into a vessel suitable to ourseles and useful to God. Such shaping is also demonstrated in the Bible where Paul speaks of being molded into shape by the pot maker.  
Heb 12: 7-11 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? . . . . .10 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Persevere.  If. . .  Then; Conditionally Granted


The disciples were chosen for the purpose of bearing fruit.
 4. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.  

We, as normal human beings have been given sovereignty as part of the image of God in which we were created. We are free to accept or reject whatever God offers us. But there are always consequences in whatever choices we make.

Productive Living;   Inevitably Fruitful

5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Notice the word “if”!
What is that fruit? Is it worth all the discomfort of divine discipline? Do I really have to be a fruit bearer? 
The fruit is actually LOVE! (agape love)  “A new commandment I give unto you…!” .

It is the fruit-bearing Christian who makes it easier for sinful men or women to believe in God and want to draw near to Him. Jesus: “Let your light so shine that others may see the glory of the Lord in you.”

v The light that shines the farthest shines brightest at home. –Baxter

v There is not darkness enough in all the world to put out the light of one little candle. -Epitaph

v  Joh 3:20,21 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.  But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.

Jn 15:6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

 

This verse seems to tell us that spiritual life is dependent on the fruit of the vine. Such a Christian who does not remain in Christ, is either one of those who will one day be classed with others to whom the words will be “Many will come to me on that day and say, ‘Lord, Lord, in your name we . . . .’ and I will say. ‘away from Me, you workers of iniquity!’”

Or it could refer to a young Christian who needs to grow spiritually into adulthood. To be filled with the Holy Spirit is the essential component of a disciple of Christ.  Entirely sanctified through total consecration is the key to being filled with the wonderful Perfect Love of God.
 

Promises Fulfilled; Quality And Quantity

Jn 15:7,8 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.  8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Notice again the conditional word, IF and the word, .  AND.

Ac 13:47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us: "'I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'"

Love Is The Bonding Glue

9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

v The people of God ought to be the happiest people in all the wide world.  People should be coming to us constantly and asking the source of our joy and delight. –Tozer

12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
The commandments of Christ are the commandments of love.

When our lives and actions are love-impelled, then is the Father glorified because we are bearing much fruit, and we are His disciples indeed. 

13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends
14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

 

The Divine Duty: Go And Make Disciples!

16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-- fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.





No comments:

Post a Comment