Monday, December 28, 2015

Creative suffering - Turning pain into gain


Php 1:12-24
            12 Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.
 13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.
 14 Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.
 15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill.
 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel.
 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.  18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,
 19 for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.
20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!
 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;
 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body

A most profound statement was formulated by a group of theologians
“The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.”

Today’s message is about turning your pain into gain. I mean, what else can you do? You can’t continue to complain and to blame and to pity yourself. Your attitude will depend on what your supreme purpose is while you are in this world. 
When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade. Turn your pain into gain.

I.                   Paul tells us about his purpose in life.(v21,22)

 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!

As a Christian, Paul is saying, “My chief purpose in life is to magnify Christ and to glorify Him.

 

2.         Is this also your supreme purpose?

If we should carefully consider who we are and where we come from, it would make us humble to think that God could actually be magnified in my body. Yet, Jesus told his disciples, “you are the light…” It is this element that makes Christ visible to whomever we meet and wherever we are!
Can you say, “It’s no longer I that live, but Christ who lives in me”, whatever you see; whatever you hear; whatever you say. . . He is within your heart; He is the one that people will see.
          That is why it is important that we have a purposeful life of living for Jesus and being filled constantly with His Spirit.

(Bultmann)The “Modern Man” has a tendency toward “autonomy”, ie the belief that you can gain real security by your own efforts, through the accumulation of wealth, the multiplying of technology, and the quest to exercise influence, either individually or collectively. This is an unattainable hope, because of overwhelming obstacles, like death and natural disasters.
 The continued human selfish and self-sufficient action constitutes a rejection or denial of all that the human is intended to be. What then.is authentic, existence or salvation?  The Word of God calls man away from his selfishness and from the false security which he has built up for himself. It calls him to God, who is beyond the world and beyond scientific thinking. At the same time, it calls man to his true self.      
As the Word of God comes to humans personally, it calls them to abandon their attempt to build security through their own efforts and find true security by placing their trust in God. Only through the exercise of faith can the human put an end to his or her fake existence. To believe in the Word of God means to abandon all merely human security and thus to overcome the despair which arises from the attempt to find security, an attempt which is always vain.
         
Faith means abandoning the quest for tangible realities and temporary objects. The pursuit of such things is sin, for by it we exclude the invisible reality from our lives and refuse God’s future, which is offered us as a gift. Faith is an opening of our hearts to the grace of God, allowing him to release us from the past and bring us into his future. It also involves obedience – turning our backs on self and abandoning all security.


Q. Have you ever come across a person who radiates God’s presence; who makes you sense the awesomeness of the presence of love?  

 test yourself – do you possess this purpose?

Fill in the blanks: “For me to live is ---------------- and to die is----------“

A,  if you are honest with yourself, someone here will have said, “For me to live is to make money!” But now, what about the last part? “ to die is____ lose it all!”
B. Other honest people would say, “For me to live is power!” But “to die is to lose it all!”
What you really need is a purpose for living that will be capable of meeting the challenges of life.
I am determined to have a dominant purpose that is worthy of the investment of , “live for my Saviour, to magnify Jesus Christ to the extent that circumstances cannot interfere or derail my purpose.  (see also Prov 3:5,6)

3.         Three events in the life of Paul that could have derailed him.

  12 Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.  13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.

At this point of time, Paul had been in that prison for 4 1/2 yrs .  He was chained to a Roman prison warden 24/7 with the sentries changing shifts every 6 hours.
Would we be content to keep quiet and not ask God some questions? I mean, after all, I am doing service for God, for His kingdom.  But Paul’s purpose in life did not include his own convenience and comfort. He used every opportunity to magnify Christ. How? 
 Can you imagine this ordinary man, just like you and me, greeting each new jailer every six hours. To one he might have said, “Have you ever heard of the four spiritual laws?” The next jailer, “Hi, Janus, where did we get at our last meeting? Oh, yes it was about Jesus Christ who came into our world to save us from our sins.. . .” 
 It is amazing, a captive audience, who have no option but to listen to the Word of God, for the very first time. Oh, how the Holy Spirit would bring joy and excitement to their hearts.
Don’t we also have similar experiences when we are laid up in a hospital or even when we are in a slow moving lift full of people.  So what, if they see you as a fanatic.  God is pleased with such fanatics. 
Some of Paul’s captive audiences probably couldn’t keep quiet about what they had heard and some of them may even have been converted. 

4. The results of paul’s roman imprisonment (Php 4:21,22)

 21 Greet all the saints in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me send greetings. 22 All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar's household.

Saints in Caesar’s household??
These were the prison guards who were converted to Christ while chained to Paul.
Whenever you are in difficult and adverse situations, see it as opportunity to glorify and magnify Christ.  Don’t ask God, “Why….?” but ask “What can I do that will glorify Christ Jesus, my Saviour ?”
Joni Erickson Tada refers to her situation as “creative suffering”

Paul faced his critics (in chains) v17
It is in the fires of life that a true Christian is tested. What would you do in his place?
Matt 5:11,12
11 "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.  12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
The choice is ours whether we will magnify Christ by refusing to retaliate and rather be crushed for His sake. It all depend on our purpose for living; our reason for living.
Paul’s third crisis – “The valley of the shadow of death.”
It did not matter to him that he may be put to death. Nor did it make him change his mind about his purpose for living. He could have denounced his Saviour and be set free, but (v20,21)
 20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Conclusion
Paul has been saying, “I have a supreme purpose in life. And it’s not to be healthy and wealthy and free of suffering. My one goal is to magnify Christ. When I’m free to preach, I’ll use my words to do it!  If I am in chains it will be t the chains that will accomplish it. If I am being criticised, I will use that criticism to do it. Whether in life or in death, Jesus Christ will be glorified in me. I want my life to be a vivid picture of my Saviour to the world.
When you find yourself in the furnaces of life, will others see Christ in you?
Take your tears and turn them into triumphs! Take that pain and turn it into gain! Magnify Jesus Christ. 

1Pet 2:12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

No comments:

Post a Comment